random title

Sometimes, I'm an asshole

My last journal entry here, I showed that it's easy to exact revenge on someone who rips off your layout by simply linking to your CSS file. But more than that: I showed that sometimes I'm a complete and utter asshole.

My joke went way too far. I've sent an email to 1VO3000 apologising for my actions, and offered to design a new site for him. I'll also be password protecting the stupidripoffs folder where this and future site rips will be stored.

1VO3000 shouldn't have ripped off my site. I shouldn't have taken such a childish and vengeful response. As 1VO3000 is a 15 year old kid who was just trying to make a website for himself, I think it's pretty clear who's the bigger idiot here.

Comments

Chris Owens:

Dave,

Very noble of you.

Posted at June 5, 2004 02:52 AM

David:

Very knoble indeed. Nice design here too. Best of luck with everything

Posted at June 8, 2004 12:46 AM

David Barrett:

If I were truly noble, I would not have done it in the first place.

Posted at June 8, 2004 01:00 AM

Niall:

Yes, Dave - you were an asshole - but sometimes you have to be, in fairness. T'was quite big of you to apologise for it.

Posted at June 8, 2004 02:36 PM

Blake:

Well, the thing is...we all do irrational things when we're furious. As a designer and an artist, I've been pretty pissed a few times when I caught certain individuals stealing ideas. Rule of thumb - have a seat and chill for a few before taking action. Like you said, he's a 15-year-old.

Posted at June 8, 2004 08:39 PM

Sinecure:

Why such a change of heart?
You spent the time and effort to design the site, mainly the css. Why should you design a new site for a 15 year old?
I'm sure the revenge truely hurt him emotionally...

If somebody stole your car, and you remotely played Daniel O'Donnell through the CD player, would you take your car back but offer to buy him another new car?

Just seems too much of a change. Something smells fishy...

Posted at June 10, 2004 04:06 AM

David Barrett:

I'm feeling the paranoia Sinecure. What's up?

Posted at June 10, 2004 12:50 PM

Sinecure:

M'eh, just seems like a rather odd thing to do is all.

Posted at June 10, 2004 03:44 PM

AkaXakA:

David, most 15 year old are complete assholes. I speak from experience. Also, if they were serious about getting any website up and running, they wouldn't so blatantly steal the design.

Even as a 11 year old I never got the idea to steal a design, especially so stupidly.

Don't go all soft on someone just because they're 15. Also, his apology doesn't seem sincere, as it's such a complete turnaround. Don't let yourself be fooled.

Posted at June 13, 2004 09:54 PM

David Barrett:

AkaXakA:
The actions of 1VO3000 do not excuse my own actions. At this point, it does not matter if he is being sincere in his apology... I did something quite cruel and, to be blunt, offensive to a far wider group of people than some kid in Brazil.

A far less offensive picture would have been much better. I should have just put up a quiet note stating that the CSS file was being used illegally. That would have been fine, but instead I acted like an asshole.

Posted at June 14, 2004 12:17 AM
Copyright © 2003-2006 David Barrett. Valid XHTML & CSS.