random title

Don't rip me off

Important Update (17th of August 2004)

I've been contacted by IVO3000 again. It seems like he's about to get in big trouble with his family over what he did.

As I mentioned in my follow-up to this post, this IVO chap is just a 15 year old kid from Brazil who didn't realise that what he was doing was wrong.

It was an honest mistake on his part. I'm sure I've done similar things in the past, as has almost every single web designer on the planet. Once we're educated on such things, we don't do it any more. IVO has received a much harsher education than most people, thanks to this stupid prank I pulled.

If any members of IVO's family read this, I ask you to go easy on the guy. No real harm was done to me, and my revenge was more than enough punishment for him. He made an honest mistake, because he just didn't know that what he did was wrong. I believe there was no malice or ill intent to his actions, just the thought I want a nice webpage, and this one looks nice so I'll use that style.

I keep a close eye on my web stats. Probably the biggest reason I do this is vanity; I like if I see I'm getting a lot of traffic, and I like to see who's linking to me. If I see that my site traffic is increasing, that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I looked at my stats this morning to see a lot of traffic from a geocities site:

Suspicious traffic statistics

I suspected all of these referrers came from some automatically set up webpage for some spam bot. It's happened before, but I thought I'd check it out. I found something very familiar:

A screenshot of the offending site

Right. My brand new site design, so new I haven't even had a chance to write about it or even finish off, has been ripped. This is not on; this is stealing my work. But still, why are the number of referrers so high? I didn't notice a link to my site on the page, so I looked at the source:

The source showed a link to my CSS

Instead of copying the CSS, the idiot had linked directly to my CSS file. On my server. So I wrote him a new CSS file and made sure his site was served it with this .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://geocities\.yahoo\.com\.br/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*psyche\.css$ http://dave.antidisinformation.com/css/idiot.css [R,L]

Go have a look at the idiot's website. I've saved a copy of the infringment, as well as a copy of my revenge in case he changes his site. If it still looks like mine, just hit refresh (that's F5 or Ctrl + F5). Just make sure to hit it again when you come back here!

I feel good.

Update: It looks like I've scared the guy off. His site is deleted. I still have a copy of both the infringement and my revenge for people to look at. Hopefully a few people got to see it first over at his site. I don't think he appreciated Paul's photoshopping.

Comments

Joe:

Good one dave, I give you credit for that one :D

Posted at June 2, 2004 11:47 AM

Bard:

Supoib work!

Posted at June 2, 2004 02:15 PM

1vo3000:

Dave I am sorry for ripping you off , i never wanted to cause any trouble. I don't know how to design a webpage and I though yours was great. But thats no excuse. Sorry again, and hope not to cause you any more trouble. peace
Sincerily

Posted at June 2, 2004 04:05 PM

David Barrett:

Well, you do seem genuinely sorry. I don't appreciate having my work ripped off (particularly early revisions of it - the work on this site will continue throughout the week), but I'm willing to forgive you for this one. I did get some hilarious revenge :)

If you want to learn how to design web sites, there's plenty of books and sites I could recommend.

Posted at June 2, 2004 04:26 PM

1vo3000:

thanks Dave I will do the right thing next time. By the way your "I hate pigeons" article is great, I laughed my ass off i hate pigeons too... stupid birds.

oh and haha till when will this be published? im so embaressed... sorry again for any inconvenience.
Sincerily

Posted at June 2, 2004 04:34 PM

1vo3000:

hi Dave its me again, is there any way you could unpublish this hole rip off topic? like the 'infringement' and the 'revenge' sites also? i really do feel shammed now and even more shammed having it all on the internet.
Thanks again =)
Sincerely

Posted at June 2, 2004 11:27 PM

maxheadroom:

I'm not sure if Dave should unpublish this - besides giving us all a great laugh, it serves as a warning to anyone who might be tempted to rip off any of his designs...

Oh, and 1vo3000 - try http://www.oswd.org if you need free designs - those ones are put there for people to copy and use.

Posted at June 3, 2004 01:04 PM

David Barrett:

I'm not going to remove this rip-off topic. I would consider that akin to trying to change history by changing documents. It's not something I feel is particularly honest.

That said, I have removed the picture. It was quite offensive, and not just to you :)

Posted at June 3, 2004 01:27 PM

1vo3000:

maxheadroom thank you for the website tip but I decided to do a website of my own, therefore i asked the help of a very good friend of mine who works with Flash. And David, although you are more then correct on having published such thing, i think its now over cuz the moral lesson you already gave me, and there is no point on having it still on the internet (the hole infringement thing). This only makes me feel worse than I already am. Im just a 15 yr old kid trying to have my first site online.

Posted at June 3, 2004 09:47 PM

andrew:

who's hole has been infringed?

Posted at June 4, 2004 01:08 PM
Copyright © 2003-2006 David Barrett. Valid XHTML & CSS.